Sunday, October 7, 2007

Day 2 - Much to plan...

After the trials and tribulations of day 1, I was certainly hoping for a change in fortune with respect to river conditions and greater kms travelled for day 2. I was greeted with the second frost in as many nights but I had prepared myself for being very uncomfortably for however long was required. From Albury the river generally changed to a slower flow and greater width. There was still an enormous number of snags throughout the river but generally much easier to navigate. Today I had my first encounter with a Platypus in the Murray River. The kayak is very quiet and I was able to sneak within a couple of metres before it took a dive for deeper water. Apart from that there has been significantly less wildlife than I had thought. Also far less boat traffic than anticipated. I passed no boats on the river at all today. A consequence of low river levels and closed season on Murray Cod and Crayfish. Another 38km travelled today. Hard work but rewarding. The shoulders were sore but overall the body was holding together well. Certainly it was very liberating to strip off at the end of the day, hook up the hot water bag to a tree and have a reasonable wash off.

Lunch break and looking very classy in my hat

Camp setup with tent on sandbar

Camp site at end of Day 2

1 comment:

Colinjt said...

Early days but keep up the good work. Am enjoying sharing this adventure and look forward to each post as it arrives.Will be sharing this with the kids when we go back next week.Can you post your GPS marks with each post?
A proud dad