Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Day 5 - Finding rhythm

After a very slow and tricky start to the trip it seemed I had built up some real momentum. Today was another example as I clocked up another 51km and pushed through from upstream of Corowa to Brimin where I was meeting Kristian the following day. There was enormous incentive to push through the pain with the carrot being a full day off. Prior to my trip I had only completed approximately 100km of paddling in the last couple of years. Brimin would be approaching 200km in just 5 days. A full day off would prove extremely beneficial in allowing the usually lazy muscles a chance to recover and become stronger. It was an extremely challenging day though. The river become a wider slower channel around Corowa and proved reasonably easy to navigate. It is there I crossed paths with my second snake. This was another black snake but substantially larger than the first. Again it was swimming across the river but I always maintained a keen eye for the moving snag. Approximately 15km upstream of Brimin the river changed dramatically. It suddenly branched off into numerous faster moving channels. The channel I followed was very difficult to negotiate with snags crossing the majority of the channel at many locations. A few bad split second decisions were made but I managed to avoid the big snags and stay dry. It was true to say I had more than a few hairy moments very similar to Day 1! That day truly helped my decision making process with regard to the remainder of my journey. I would speak with Kristian tomorrow to establish an exit strategy.

Photo from the pilot seat

Few friendly Cockies hanging out at the snag

Black snake number 2 (perhaps 1m long)
Lunch break and chance to escape the blazing sun

Finish location for Day 5

1 comment:

Colinjt said...

ocker745River looks awfully narrow there. Still, not too much traffic to worry about so enjoy the serenity. Hope you are taking lots of pics to share when it is all over.