Thursday, October 11, 2007

Day 6 - Time to take a break

After a steadily increasing workload over the 5 days previous, I was very happy to have the day off and a small sleep in. This was made easier by a few passing light showers. A negative side to this though was a large drop in temperatures and strong westerly winds. To date I had been lucky with minimal windy days. I spent the first half of the day just hanging around waiting for Kristian to arrive. When he did we grabbed the boat and took off to try and catch a few yellowbelly. Unfortunately we only caught 3 Murray Cod (closed season) about 40cm long so they all went back. More than anything it was just brilliant to have the company. Although my body was coping well and becoming stronger with the workload, I was struggling more and more everyday being away from friends and family. When I leave tomorrow it will be difficult as I know it will be another week of solitude. It was enough to convince me to bring forward my finish line to Echuca on the following weekend. I accepted simply that although the trip is interesting and challenging, it is an experience that would be greatly enhanced if not done solo.

Camping at Brimin

My first Murray cod for the trip

Bait yabbies and shrimp

The river rabbit - not the first european carp I have caught!

No comments: