Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Day 3 - Much a muchness!

Yet another frost overnight. This time I thought I would at least take a photo to demonstrate what I am dealing with. My sleeping bag has been alright but even fully clothed I find myself shivering through much of the night. Yesterday was a dramatic improvement on day 1 but I need to up the km/day sharply to begin making some real progress. Today I stepped it up a little further to cover 42km in the day. The body is not loving it. Although I feel the paddling rhythm improving with every day, the heat has taken a lot out today and for the first time have been seriously contemplating pulling the pin on my trip well before Goolwa. Today was a day of firsts. First roo, first snake and first fox. It was only a small black snake, perhaps 40cm and swam 2-3m in front of my kayak. I did see it some time before that.

Scratching the ice off the kayak in the morning

Taking a photo each morning to see the changes to general appearance

Late in the day passing by the cliffs around Howlong

Camp site at end of Day 3

Overall progress map

1 comment:

Big Bad Burley said...

Nice work mate but you are a complete nut. Keep 'em coming though, i will be checking out how your going.