Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Day 4 - Finally a change is in the air

Overall, the first 3 days on the river have been carbon copies. They start with a frost, followed by a clear warm day and the temperatures plummeting 5 degrees in 10 minutes as the sun disappears. Day 4 saw the first sign of change. The NW winds were up and some high cloud began streaming through. Finally...no frost tonight! Some rain would have been nice but not too much that would flood my tent. What eventuated was around 10 spots which was perhaps fortunate given my tent location. The river has continued to settle down over the last 2 days with reasonably slow flows but occassional spots where snags have to be negotiated carefully. At least now the flow is slow enough that if I make a bad decision on path I can hit reverse and change my approach. Today the big first was seeing a big Wedge Tailed Eagle give the other birds hell. It landed on a snag perhaps 15m away. They are an awesome sight to behold from close range! More solid progress today as I managed an early start and over 45km. Body still feeling fine with the increased workload. I will keep pushing the envelope to see if I can manage my initial long term goal of 50km/day as an average.

Lunch break and a chance to finally get the pfd off

Camp for night 4

River covered and camp site for night 4

No comments: