Wednesday, October 3, 2007

2 Days to Go!

By this time on Saturday afternoon Kristian and I will make the drive from Shepparton to the Hume Dam. The plan is to camp there the night to allow me to make a early start on Sunday morning and be well downstream of Wodonga before setting up camp. Looking at the forecast it is expected to drop to 1 deg on Saturday night...fantastic!

Yesterday (Wednesday) I spend 4 hours in the shed thoroughly going through all the equipment, packing, unpacking the kayak and making lists of additional requirements. Seems that there will be enough room (just!) to get the basic supplies in. I will be relying on fish and yabbies for dinner at least 2 nights a week. Hope the fishing is better than I have seen here so far! I will certainly be cramming in as much red meat as possible these next 2 days!

Basically everything is in place now. Transport, supplies, timeline. Check. It certainly is feeling a lot more real and I can truly picture those nights completely alone, black as black with no noise apart from the bush around me. I'm not looking forward to the first time walking around and catching the sight of the blood red eyes of a fox checking out if I will be leaving any spare. Physically, I feel completely at peace with the challenge but I still have questions about dealing with the solitude. Best way to find out is to dive right in I guess. Lets get this show on the road!

Finally sorting out the finer details of the packing

No comments: