Monday, October 29, 2007

Day 12 - Nothing to do but paddle

Today was just another day on the river. With so many twists and turns the river has changed very little over the last few days...until now. On the approach to Barmah forest the river becomes significantly narrower and faster flowing. The water level seems to be quite high with respect to the bank but speaking to the owner of the Picnic Point Caravan Park, the water level is usually only just below the top of bank. Now it is a clear 1-1.5m below. As is the case almost everywhere, the river is extremely low. After several days absent, I finally encountered snake #3. It was swimming across the river and we were on target for a collision so I hit the gas. Looking back as it continued to cross I realised how slow they are through the water. Suddenly I felt a whole lot safer. That feeling of safety evapourated in the evening when I finally found a point to pull the kayak up for the night. Shortly after unloading the kayak and setting up my tent around 8 brumbies came bolting out of the forest straight at me. They came to a sudden halt around 50m away and took a good look at me. I held my ground and slowly approached them and they bolted back into the forest. At many locations there are cattle that graze the banks and drink from the river. Cattle are generally easily frightened and disappear where as horses are seemingly more intelligent and curious. This had me worried as I knew they would be back at some stage. Again, it would be unintentional but a swift kick from a horse would have me in a very bad way. I went to bed with an uneasy feeling in the stomach and planned to be up at very first light to try and leave asap. Today was very productive regardless of the heat covering 49km.

Morning on Day 12 and starting to look pretty rough

Lunch break on another hot sunny day

Progress map to Day 12

No comments: