Sunday, October 28, 2007

Day 8 - Crossing the wall

Early in the morning I came to the realisation that it was closer to 30km to the wall at Lake Mulwala rather than the 20km I had previously thought. This meant some serious energy was going to be expended reaching the wall by 12pm. The deadline was set because Kristian was to meet me there and help carry the kayak from upstream of the wall, along the road, over the bridge, through the caravan park and finally down to the boat ramp (around 500m). We were very happy when that was all over with. The morning paddle fortunately did not prove as challenging as thought. Markers clearly identified the path through the everglades and Lake Mulwala. Fortunately also, although the wind was howling from the west yesterday afternoon it had eased off significantly in the morning. Strong westerly winds would have made for fun with the large open water body. After pushing hard I easily made the journey in time and had plenty of time to push on further downstream in the afternoon. The river downstream of Lake Mulwala returned to a shallow and snaggy channel but the flow was minimal. Very little water was being released from the Lake Mulwala at that time. Overall for the day I managed around 52km. This put me well on my way to Echuca and the end of my Murray adventure...for now anyway.

Curious pelicans as I head from the Everglades to the open lake

Welcome to Lake Mulwala and the drowned forests

Finally, the wall is in sight!

Camp site on big sand bar for night 8

No comments: